Dinner!
Jason and I got photophones today to make it easier for us to take photos on the fly (rather than hauling around my jumbo camera) and also because it's so easy to put photos on our blog with it.
So here's a photo of what we had for dinner today:

This is banku. That's on the plates; it's a kind of maize/cassava tube of a doughy constituency, which you tear off bits and dip in your stew or soup. I had groundnut (peanut) stew (on the bottom) while Jason had palm nut stew (top right). Both our stews came with some type of meat (beef or goat?) and okra.
Also on this table, you can see our two bottles of Star beer, the local favourite. Our beer glasses have coasters on top of them to keep out any curious bugs.
The blue dish in the top left is full of water, with the smaller dish in the centre of the table for pouring the water over your hands. Since you eat with your fingers, the tables all have bottles of liquid soap on them for you to wash with before and after you eat.
The placemats advertise "Malta," a Guiness-brewed, non-alcoholic, malted drink that is advertised here as being good for you. I've only had a sip of it once, and it wasn't bad. Kind of tasted a bit beery, but also chocolatey somehow.
We had this dish at a place that I think was called Marianne's, a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that had a Star beer ad out front (we were thirsty for beer) and advertised "Local food."
What you see in this picture is what we were unable to finish after totally stuffing ourselves! The proprietor did say she appreciated our effort. Ghanaians seem to love it when we like their food.
Dinner for two, including the beer, was 46,000 cedis (about $5 Canadian).


1 Comments:
Hey Kids,
I was just going to post a new comment demanding 'post more photos!' when I read this entry. Strangely enough, Jonathan and I also bought camera phones this week. I have become an absolute nerd with mine. Click click click, 24-7.
Malta sounds delicious. Yuummm, chocolate and beer.
Winnipeg is boring without you.
-Danishka
Post a Comment
<< Home