Malta, Mmmmm.

It's Malta, the Guinness-made soft drink made from barley and hops, but non-alcoholic. It's very popular with the locals and sold everywhere from restaurants to bars to stands on the street.
The label reads: "With extra vitamins of the B complex!"
Ingredients: water, malt, sugar, hops, vitamins. No nutritional information, although I'm sure a bottle has about 900 calories.
It tastes kind of like Guinness stout, but also kind of chocolately or like molasses.
Note this photo was taken in the outdoor lunch room at my office. In the background you can see my peanut butter sandwich and deep-fried plantain chips. I purchased the latter through the window of my trotro on the way to work.
You can also get Guinness Foreign Extra Stout here, which is like regular Guinness, only 7.5% alcohol.
There's apparently a Nigerian version of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, too, which is made with sorghum instead of barley, but I haven't yet come across it.
There are other varieties of Malta made by other companies, but I'm loyal to my Guinness. Or I was, until I recently learned that apparently it's not suitable for vegetarians because its made with some kind of clearing agent made out of fish. Bleh!


3 Comments:
Wendy...once again, you and Jason do a fabulous blog. I check it out a few times a week and it's like taking a mini-vacation. Keep up the good work!
Alison
In Belize they also sell the Guinness extra stout. It is AWFUL and pales in comparison to the Irish nectar we so dearly love.
Keep up the investigative journalism!
Doug
Is MALTA made with fish guts? If not, please bring some home to Canada!!
-Danishka
Post a Comment
<< Home